Spencer Law Group
Personal Injury on Airplanes
Summer is in full swing, school is over, and that is leaving many of us trying to get in our trips by ground and air.
Typically, personal injuries in regard to transportation accidents are focused on those that involve pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles, or automobiles; however, despite the relative safety of air flights, accidents while aboard a plane do occur.
The most serious injuries during flights are due to:
- rapid deceleration brought on by pilot error
- faulty equipment
- Federal Aviation Administration regulation violations
- structural or design problems of the aircraft
- negligence of flight service station employees
- negligence of federal air traffic controllers
- negligence of other personal aboard or preparing the plane for flight such as ground controllers or flight attendants.
Any of these causes entitle the injured party compensation to recover for any losses sustained while on the commercial airline, which is recognized as a common carrier or public transportation service.
Damages against any party found liable for the accident, or injury, are similar to that of any other personal injury lawsuit. As with any personal injury service, there can be both punitive and compensatory damages which include past and future medical expenses, lost wages, lost earning capacity, past and future pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
If you have sustained any injuries during a flight, you should consult an experienced personal injury attorney to learn more about preserving your rights and remedies.